Tate & Lyle Company Ltd, sugar refiners, records.
Limited records from the Love Lane factory of Tate & Lyle. For more details see the attached catalogue. In 1870 Henry Tate & Sons built a sugar refinery in Love Lane, Liverpool, which opened in 1872. In 1929, as Tate & Lyle Co., Ltd., the company amalgamated with Fairries, a refinery founded by J.A. and T. Fairrie in 1847 at Vauxhall Road, Liverpool. Geoffrey Fairrie joined the board and led the reconstruction and extension of the Love Lane premises in 1936-1937. In 1981 the Love Lane refinery was closed down as part of Tate & Lyle's rationalisation scheme. For the file, re Rationalisation of Tate & Lyle and the closure of Love Lane, see the Sugar Association of Lancashire collection (D/SAL/10/19). The majority of the records relating to the Love Lane premises were transferred by the company to its London offices, and the records described below are a small random sample rescued from the Love Lane site prior to its demolition in 1982. The collection was rescued with the permission of the demolition contractors on 10 August 1982. Further information is available in Sugar and All That: A History of Tate & Lyle, by A. Hugill (Gentry Books, London, 1978).