A Temple card

A Temple

WAG 5103

Currently not on display

Information

This drawing is fairly close to the design of Bramante's Tempietto, San Petro, in Montorio, Rome, built in 1504 which was published in Serlio's 'Tutte L'Opere d'Architettura' in 1584. It was formerly attributed to Inigo Jones (1573 -1652) by the time collector David Pennant (1774/5 - 1841) owned it, but this attribution was rejected by John Harris (born 1931), former Curator at the Royal Institute of British Architects, who believes that it dates from early in the 17th Century. T W Rathbone believed it was a design for a garden ornament (also see WAG 5102).