Temple Wall Relief Fragment
Fragment of painted limestone with a lotus capital column, painted red and green. Excavated by Flinders Petrie (1889 – 1890) at the ruined mortuary temple attached to King Senusret II’s pyramid of Lahun at the mouth of the Faiyum Oasis. Beside the pyramid complex is the ancient town of Lahun, which flourished in the 19th and 18th centuries BC. Compare with a piece from the King's Temple illustrated in Lahun II (London, 1923) pl. XVI no. 18; and two pieces in the the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, University College London (nos. UC 6549 and UC 6587).