Square wall tile of glazed faience with a pattern decoration of four squares: two black, one white and the other blue. Between 1909 and 1914 John Garstang’s team uncovered a city that contained major temples, palatial dwellings and an unusual water sanctuary that Garstang interpreted as a royal bath. The decoration of some of these buildings included wall tiles of a glazed ceramic called faience. The tile was donated to the museum in 1918 by Mr Robert Gladstone, along with seven other objects from Prof. John Garstang's excavations at Meroë. In the accession register there is a note that Gladstone acquired the collection from "the late Colonel Braun".