Tool, broken in two. Collected from the Eastern Desert by Mr Heywood Seton-Karr in 1896-1897 at Wadi el-Sheikh, a stone quarry that was an important source of flint in ancient Egypt, with several workshops dating to the early third millennium BC, during the Early Dynastic Period to the Old Kingdom. CONDITION NOTE (1998): Surface dirt. In 1897 the museum purchased a large group of stone tools from a series of flint mines and workshops at Wadi el-Sheikh. A noteworthy acquisition as the collector, Heywood Seton-Karr, also sold the museum his notes, maps and photographs which were published by the museum (Forbes, 1900).