View of the Proposed Layout of St. James's Cemetery
This is thought to be a view of the proposed layout of St. James's Cemetery, Liverpool which was established in 1829. It is a view from the south, showing the old quarry laid out as a garden. The quarry operated until 1825. The ramps leading down on the right, with catacombs in the rock face, adjoin what is now Hope Street. The three buildings on the west side are the Porter's Lodge in the foreground, the Minister's House just behind, and St. James's Chapel at the far left.