View in Rome card

View in Rome

WAG 7447

Currently not on display

Information

Philips first visited Rome in 1824, remaining there for a further three years. Following the death of Henry Fuseli in 1825, Philips was elected a member of the Academy of St Luke to replace the late artist. The Temple of Peace no longer stands in Rome. The original building was built in AD 71. The Roman historian Josephus described it as 'surpassing all human imagination.'