Fragment of a wall with sunk relief carving with the head of a prince and three cartouches. The Kushites used an alphabet of 24 hieroglyphs. Some were Egyptian and others they created themselves. Three cartouches containing Meroitic hieroglyphs are carved on this sandstone fragment from the Kushite capital city of Meroe. The Meroitic language is different from ancient Egyptian and is still not totally understood. Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology 1910 excavation, site no. 250: the north wall of the 'ambulatorium' in the 'sun temple'. Wellcome Historical Medical Museum label: Case 7360 Egyptian Stele without number (ex Wigmore St.) Grade "B".