This collection consists of some 3,200 specimens whose origins date from 1856. They were obtained mainly from three sources: the University of Liverpool's teaching collection; the contents of the Liverpool Public Museums Economic Botany Gallery, which opened in 1932; and the Liverpool John Moores University's Pharmacognosy collection. Together these form an almost comprehensive reference set of parts of plants and their products such as roots, seeds, fibres, fruits, leaves, gums and other extracts. The collection also contains the botanical specimens from the Liverpool Salvage Corps reference collection (1842-1984).
This collection consists of some 11,000 specimens containing a very wide range of standard wood blocks of commercial timbers as well as wild-collected material from field expeditions. It has been compiled from five main sources: Alfred Dobell timber collection (1861); J.O. Roberts timber collection; Liverpool Salvage Corps' collection; Levy collection and The Natural History Museums' (BM) timber collection including specimens collected by Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753).