Edward Carter Preston

Liverpool-born English artist, sculptor and medallist (1884 - 1965)

In 1902 Edward Carter Preston enrolled as an evening student in the department of Applied Art at University College, Liverpool. The departmenet was shortlived and was known as the 'Art Sheds' because of its makeshift accommodation; it was comitted to the principles of the arts and crafts movement, offering practical instruction in a range of creative activities associated with architecture. Among Carter Preston's teachers were the sculptor Charles John Allen and the painter Augustus John. He attended classes in painting, drawing, modelling, and decorative design, until the Art Sheds were absorbed into the City School of Art in 1905. He then helped set up the Sandon Terrace Studios.

The studios grew into the Sandon Studios Society. In 1911 Carter Preston was on the society's hanging committee which brought to Liverpool a selection from Roger Fry's first post-impressionist exhibition, showing paintings and drawings of his own alongside works by Gauguin and Picasso.

Carter Preston designed the bronze memorial plaques presented to the families of British servicemen and women who died during the First World War. Another major commission for the artist began in 1931 when the architect Giles Gilbert Scott asked him to produce a series of sculptures for the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral. The project was an immense undertaking which occupied the artist for the next thirty years. The work for the cathedral included fifty sculptures, ten memorials and several reliefs. He was the brother-in-law of sculptor Herbert Tyson Smith.
  • Gender
    Male
  • Relationship
    Artist/maker
  • Nationality
    British: English
  • Born
    1884-07-07
  • Place of birth
    Europe: Northern Europe: UK: England: Merseyside: Liverpool
  • Died
    1965-03-02
  • Place of death
    Europe: Northern Europe: UK: England: Merseyside: Liverpool
  • Cause of death
    Unknown or unrecorded
Page load time: 281 ms