Medal entitlement


The King's Regiment Cap badge. The Horse of Hanover of the King's Liverpool Regiment and the Fleur de Lys of the Manchester Regiment reflect the amalgamation of these two historic Regiments in 1958 to form today's King's Regiment.

Soldiers are awarded medals for military campaigns, long service and for meritorious or gallant conduct.

Rolls for awards before 1924 are held by the National Archives

The most comprehensive list of soldiers who served overseas during the First World War is the campaign medal card index available on microfiche at the National Archives. This gives a man's service number(s) and the Regiment(s) in which he served. His battalion is sometimes given in the rolls. The rolls can be searched using references on the cards. A roll of recipients of the Military Medal, and citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal for the First World War are also available at the Merseyside Maritime Museum. Please be aware that there are no surviving Military Medal citations.

The medal index cards for surnames from A - T [On-going project to include the rest in progress] are now available online from the National Archive. There is a fee to download the medal index card of an individual.

For medal entitlement after 1924, apply to :

MOD Army Medal Office
Building 250
RAF Innsworth

Proof of loss of medals, for example a police report or insurance claim, is usually required for replacement medals. However replica medals can be purchased from reputable companies. Enquire at RHQ for details.

The Army Medal Office also holds all Home Guard Records.

Details of awards for gallantry can be found on line at London Gazette