Also in this section…?
- 'A Bacchante', Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema
- 'The Evening Star', Henry William Banks Davis
- 'Evening: The West still glimmers with some streaks of day', Thomas Creswick
- 'Her eyes are with her heart', Phillip Hermogenes Calderon
- 'The Finding of the Saviour in the Temple', William Holman Hunt
- Video: the Holt family maid
- Drawing room
- 'Love's Palace', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'St Cecilia', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'Study', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'The Two Mothers', Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- 'A Venetian Flower Girl', Samuel Luke Fildes
- 'Weaving the Wreath', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'What is it?', Henry Stacy Marks
'Study', Frederic Lord Leighton
Zoom into the detail of this painting
The girl gazes dreamily at an Eastern illuminated manuscript on a Koran stand; her pink and golden silk clothing Middle Eastern in style.
Though Leighton’s paintings were mostly inspired by ancient Greece, he was also an enthusiast for Middle Eastern art. Around this time he was adding an Arab Hall to his Kensington studio house, now Leighton House museum. The model was Connie Gilchrist, a famous child actress.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 258