Also in this section…?
- 'Card Players', Luigi Zuccoli
- 'Dog with slipper', Sir Edwin Landseer
- 'Fair at Fougères, Brittany', Frederick Goodall
- 'Free From Care', Thomas Faed
- 'A Girl with her Dog', British School
- 'A Girl with a Basket of Apples', Hugues Merle
- 'Give Us This Day our Daily Bread', James Clarke Hook
- First floor
- 'Market Day', George Bernard O'Neill
- 'Red and Blue Macaw', Henry Stacey Marks
- 'Sheep and Lambs', Rosa Bonheur
- 'The Village Pastor', William Powell Frith
'Dog with slipper', Sir Edwin Landseer
This is the latest of the Landseer works you can see at Sudley. It is also the most sentimental. The others ('Taking the Deer', 'Lake Scene' and 'Hunting Scene') are more visceral in their depiction of animals or the countryside.
'Dog with Slipper' does, however, show Landseer's famed ability to characterise animals through precise observation of their posture and behaviour.
Here, the animal is seen patiently awaiting the return of its human, favourite slippers at the ready. Such scenes of canine loyalty were very popular throughout the 19th century.
Medium and Support: Oil on panel
Accession No: WAG 249