Also in this section…?
- 'Circe and Scylla', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'In a Convent Garden', George Dunlop Leslie
- 'David Strangling the Lion', John Rogers Herbert
- 'Ferdinand Lured by Ariel', John Everett Millais
- 'The Garden of Gethsemane', William Dyce
- Garden hall
- 'O Swallow, Swallow', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'Ruth and Naomi', Ary Scheffer
- 'A Sunny Corner', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'Tobias and the Fish', John Rogers Herbert
This was once the front entrance of the house, but George Holt made the new front entrance used today. We don’t know why he made this change. This left the staircase at the wrong end of the hall, a long way from the front door.
So Holt built a wall across part of the hall and rebuilt the bottom part of the staircase against it, at a right angle to where it had been before. On the other side of the new wall he added a fireplace.
Please note: A number of paintings have been removed from display from the Garden Hall due to refurbishment. Please call the gallery if there is a specific painting you want to see, to check it is on display.