Also in this section…?
- 'Circe and Scylla', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'In a Convent Garden', George Dunlop Leslie
- 'David Strangling the Lion', John Rogers Herbert
- 'Ferdinand Lured by Ariel', John Everett Millais
- 'The Garden of Gethsemane', William Dyce
- Garden hall
- 'O Swallow, Swallow', John Melhuish Strudwick
- 'Ruth and Naomi', Ary Scheffer
- 'A Sunny Corner', Frederic Lord Leighton
- 'Tobias and the Fish', John Rogers Herbert
'O Swallow, Swallow', John Melhuish Strudwick
Zoom into the detail of this painting
This painting was inspired by lines from Tennyson’s ‘The Princess’ about a swallow flying south with a message from the poet to his beloved. She sits in a richly painted, intricately decorated interior awaiting the message from the bird, which is seen through the open window. Strudwick was a follower of Burne-Jones but his work is more intimate and packed with detail. This is the second of the paintings commissioned by George Holt from Strudwick for Sudley.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 305