Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
Zoom into the detail of this painting
George Holt’s father, George Holt the elder, bought this painting when it was exhibited at the Liverpool Academy in 1842 with money he had won as a prize.Â It was one of the first significant acquisitions of art made by the family.
Cooke became a Royal Academician and specialised in marine subjects, often depicting fishing boats in rough seas.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 319