Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
Zoom into the detail of this painting
The Scottish artist, best known for the Japanese influences in his youthful pictures, was an unusual choice for this commission: a presentation portrait of Elizabeth, George Holt’s widow, on her eightieth birthday.
The portrait was shown at the Liverpool Autumn Exhibition at the Walker Art Gallery in 1914.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 241