Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
Zoom into the detail of this painting
This portrait of George Holt’s mother and elder sister is set in their home in Lodge Lane. Mrs Holt is wearing a watered silk dress and Anne, the eldest of her six children and in her thirty-fifth year at the date of the portrait, is in a white muslin and satin dress. The porcelain casket visible in the picture is also on show in Sudley House.
Westcott, a successful local portraitist who moved to London around the date of this commission, charged £210 for this work together with three chalk drawings of Anne’s brothers.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1856
Accession No: WAG 8709