Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
Zoom into the detail of this painting
George Holt the elder came to Liverpool as a young man from Rochdale and became a successful cotton broker, founding the family fortunes. He financed the construction of the India Buildings in Liverpool in 1834 and founded Blackburne House as a school for girls ten years later.
He was sixty-one years old at the date of this portrait, shown at the Liverpool Academy in 1851. A replica commissioned from Westcott in 1864, three years after the sitter’s death, is also in the collection.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 871