Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
Zoom into the detail of this painting
This work, by an artist famed for his colourful pictures of Spanish life, was commissioned from the artist by George Holt the elder and is typical of the art that was to be found in his home in Lodge Lane.
It was given to George Holt as a gift, shortly after he and his family had moved to Sudley, by his younger brother Robert Durning Holt who wrote to him ‘there is no picture in the old family collection more intimately associated with the brighter memories of Father and Mother than this picture’.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1854
Accession No: WAG 285