Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
Zoom into the detail of this painting
Jane Durning, born about 1760, was the daughter of a sea captain, Samuel Lang. Her costume and her apparent age suggest this portrait was painted about 1820.
The artist, who was deaf and dumb, spent his youth in London but enjoyed a successful practice in Manchester and Liverpool in the first decades of the 19th century.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1820
Accession No: WAG 8703