Also in this section…?
- 'Dutch Boats Beating into the Scheldt', Edward William Cooke
- 'Mrs Elizabeth Holt', George Henry
- 'Emma Durning Holt and Anne Holt', Philip Westcott
- 'Emma Holt', Percy Bigland
- 'George Holt', Robert E Morrison
- 'George Holt senior', Philip Westcott
- Video: George Holt
- 'Gypsy Sisters of Seville', John Phillip
- 'Jane Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
- 'Margate Harbour', Joseph Mallord William Turner
- 'Mother and Child', James John Hill
- 'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
- 'A Treatise on Parrots', Henry Stacy Marks
- 'Watching Dog', Briton Riviere
- 'William Durning', Thomas Arrowsmith
'The Sailing Ship, Emma', Samuel Walters
Zoom into the detail of this painting
George Holt the elder owned shares in this ship, which was built in 1845 and traded between Liverpool and China. She was probably named for his wife, Emma Durning. In 1850 George Holt transferred his interest to his son George and the partner in his firm, W J Lamport.
This portrait of the vessel was commissioned from Liverpool’s leading ship portraitist at that time.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Date: about 1850
Accession No: WAG 1820