Also in this section…?
- 'The Castalian Spring', Thomas Creswick
- 'The Cow at the Watering Place', Jean Baptiste Camille Corot
- Morning room
- 'Lago Maggiore', James Baker Pyne
- 'Lake Scene', Sir Edwin Landseer
- 'Landscape, Hampstead', John Everett Millais
- 'Morning', Thomas Creswick
- Video: Mrs Holt
- 'Ploughing Scene, Morning', Auguste Bonheur
- 'Poor Travellers at the Door of a Capuchin Convent', William Collins
- 'The return from the mill', Rosa Bonheur
- 'The Ruins of the Château d'Apchon', Auguste Bonheur
- 'Sonning Weir', Keeley Halswelle
- 'The Valley of the Thames', Keeley Halswelle
- 'Waterfall beneath a High Bridge', Thomas Creswick
- 'The Windmill', Thomas Creswick
'Morning', Thomas Creswick
Zoom into the detail of this painting
Creswick’s ‘Evening’ (displayed in the Drawing Room) had been in the family ever since George Holt’s father bought it from the Liverpool Academy exhibition of 1850. The fact that this painting is the same size and had been owned by another Liverpool collector, John Marsh, before Holt bought it in 1876, suggests that the two works could have been a pair.
The present picture, the more picturesque of the two, may be the ‘Morning in Wales’ that Creswick sent to the Liverpool Academy in 1846.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 213