Also in this section…?
- 'The Castalian Spring', Thomas Creswick
- 'The Cow at the Watering Place', Jean Baptiste Camille Corot
- Morning room
- 'Lago Maggiore', James Baker Pyne
- 'Lake Scene', Sir Edwin Landseer
- 'Landscape, Hampstead', John Everett Millais
- 'Morning', Thomas Creswick
- Video: Mrs Holt
- 'Ploughing Scene, Morning', Auguste Bonheur
- 'Poor Travellers at the Door of a Capuchin Convent', William Collins
- 'The return from the mill', Rosa Bonheur
- 'The Ruins of the Château d'Apchon', Auguste Bonheur
- 'Sonning Weir', Keeley Halswelle
- 'The Valley of the Thames', Keeley Halswelle
- 'Waterfall beneath a High Bridge', Thomas Creswick
- 'The Windmill', Thomas Creswick
'The Ruins of the Château d’Apchon', Auguste Bonheur
Zoom into the detail of this painting
Holt bought this picture as ‘Landscape, Auvergne’ in 1868 but it was exhibited at the Paris Salon under the present title fifteen years earlier. It had been in the collection of the French minister of the interior, who acquired it under the prompting of the artist’s sister, Rosa Bonheur.
It may also be the work titled ‘Mountain Scenery in the Auvergne: Early Morn’ shown at an exhibition of contemporary French art in Liverpool in 1856. Works by the Bonheurs, Auguste and his better-known artist sister Rosa, were prominent in this exhibition, which attracted considerable interest from northern art lovers.
Medium and Support: Oil on canvas
Accession No: WAG 182