The stone cladding on the Museum of Liverpool building is almost complete. On the wall facing the river this morning there was only a small section at the top corner left to do, so from the ferry it looked as if a large monster had taken a bite out of it.
While the construction and fitting out of the building takes place some of the museum's collections have been out 'on the road', with displays of key objects in a variety of locations around the city. The latest object a the rather fancy silver presentation inkstand. It was originally presented to Rabbi Prag, the first minister to serve in Princes Road Synagogue, to commemorate 25 years of his service in 1881. So rather appropriately it is being displayed at the Princes Road Synagogue until December 2009.
Tours of the synagogue can be arranged by appointment only, there are full details on the Princes Road Synagogue website. The tours are recommended by Paul Kelly and Richard Roberts from the handling team and curator Georgina Young, who were shown round after they delivered and installed the display this week.