Demolition of St. James's Hall, Interior

Muirhead Bone, 1906

WAG 8788

About this object

This is a scene showing the demolition of St James's Hall in London. St James's Hall was concert hall designed by architect Owen Jones (1809 - 1874) which opened in 1858. It was demolished in 1905 to make another concert hall 'Queen's Hall', which could be more profitable.

This print has a Campbell Dodgson plate number (CD196), as catalogued in 'Etchings and Dry Points by Muirhead Bone', 1909.

Object specifics

  • Other title(s)
    Demolition of St. James, Interior; Demolition of St. James's, Interior
  • Artist(s)
    Muirhead Bone (British: Scottish, born:1876-03-23, died:1953-10-21)
  • Date
  • Materials
    Paper; Drypoint; Etching
  • Measurements
    plate mark: 40.5 cm x 28.4 cm
  • Physical description
    A scene depicting the demolition of a large concert hall with arches. A long ladder on the right leads up to the high scaffolding on which figures are working just beneath the arch. The external background is flooded with sunlight while the internal foreground is cast in shadow.
  • Related people
    Muirhead Bone (Artist/maker) ; N W Lott and H J Gerrish Ltd (Previous owner)
  • Other number(s)
    WAG Inventory Number: 8788
  • Credit line
    Purchased by the Walker Art Gallery in 1975
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Collection
    From the Walker Art Gallery collections


Previous owners

  • N W Lott and H J Gerrish Ltd

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1975-01
    Disposal method: Sold to the Walker Art Gallery


Item inscriptions

  • Inscription text: Muirhead Bone
    Inscription method: Pencil
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: Front; Lower right; Below plate
  • Inscription text: MB
    Inscription method: Printed (monogram)
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: On plate; Lower right [on a slate leaning against the wall]
Object view = Fine Art
Page load time: 283 ms