'The Divide, Beyond Reasoning'
Prize winner John Moores Painting Prize 2018
- Watercolour on paper
- 76.5 x 57.8cm
Panchal creates his paintings slowly and meditatively, loading washes of colour onto the surface of textured paper and mixing the colours on the paper, rather than on a palette, to create a fresco-like depth and intensity.
The figures in 'The Divide, Beyond Reasoning' hold our attention with a solemn grandeur. Their surroundings are free from detail and they don’t make eye contact with each other, "suggesting a subtle tension or deep emotions beneath the surface", according to Panchal.
Shanti Panchal was born in Mesar, Gujarat. He attended Sir JJ School of Art, Bombay and Byam Shaw School of Art, London (British Council scholarship) 1978-80.
- John Moores Painting Prize, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool 1987 (prize winner) and 1989
- Shanti Panchal: New Paintings (solo), MoMA Oxford 1993
- Shanti Panchal: The Windows of the Soul (solo), Angel Row Nottingham (touring) 1998
- A Personal Journey (solo), British Council touring India 2003
- South Korea International Art Fair, Seoul 2010
- Watercolour in Britain, Castle Museum Norwich (touring) 2010-11
- Paintings of Exile and Home (solo), Piano Nobile London 2013
- Ragas of the Dawn (solo), Piano Nobile Kings Place 2016.
- The Past is Now, Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery 2017
Collections include Walker Art Gallery, Arts Council Collection, British Museum.