About this object

Padi-amun-neb-nesut-tawy's long name is typical of the time he lived and translates as ‘he who Amun-of-Karnak gave’. He was a relatively low ranking priest (wab-priest of Amun) who would have helped to carry the sacred statue of Amun, which was hidden in a portable shrine at festival processions.

The coffin lid depicts Padi-amun-neb-nesut-tawy wearing a blue and yellow striped wig with a garland of flowers around the top of his head. He wears a dark beard strap but the beard is no longer attached to his chin. A broad collar of brightly coloured beads and flower petals covers his shoulders and upper chest. Below this is an image of the winged sky goddess Nut with her name, as usual, set above her head in a yellow disc. Below this the lid is heavily decorated with registers of images and text which are taken from spells found in the Book of the Dead. The register below the pectoral contains two representations of the god Khnumn as a bull, with an offering formula invoking him as "the potter" and "the one who fashioned the gods". Beneath this is a register with a vignette from the book of the Dead, ‘the judgement of the dead’ (spell 125) which shows the weighing of Padi-amun-neb-nesut-tawy’s heart before Osiris and a court of gods. At the centre of the lid is rectangular panel showing the jackal-headed god Anubis preparing the mummy on a funerary bed. On the footboard is a winged scarab and two wedjat-eyes. The pedestal base of the coffin is decorated with a frieze of hieroglyphs that read 'all life and dominion'.

Object specifics

  • Type
  • Culture
    Third Intermediate Period
  • Artist/Maker
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Thebes
  • Date made
    747 - 656 BC about
  • Materials
    Paint; Wood; Plaster; Linen
  • Location
    World Museum, Level 3, Ancient Egypt Gallery
  • Acquisition
    Gift of Joseph Mayer
  • Collector
    Joseph Sams
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Thebes
  • Date collected
  • Measurements
    275 mm x 535 mm x 1810 mm
  • Note
    For the name see Ranke, Personennamen, I, p. 122, no. 6 [pA-dj-jmn-nb-ns.wt-tw.wj]
  • Related people
    Joseph Mayer ( Previous owner); Joseph Sams ( Collector, previous owner)

Explore related


  • Catalogue of the Egyptian Museum, No. VII, Colquitt Street, Liverpool

    Mayer, Joseph

    Author: Mayer, Joseph
    Publisher: Joseph Mayer
    Date: 1852
    Description: Joseph Mayer published a catalogue of his collection in 1852, whilst it was at his Egyptian Museum in Colquitt Street. This is before he donated his collection to the Liverpool Free Public Museums in 1867 so his entries do not include the accession numbers that the objects now bear.

  • Catalogue of the Mayer Collection Part 1. The Egyptian, Babylonian and Assyrian Antiquities. Second and Revised Edition

    Gatty, Charles

    Author: Gatty, Charles
    Publisher: The Committee of the Liverpool Free Public Library, Museum and Gallery of Art
    Date: 1879
    Description: 83 page illustrated catalogue of Joseph Mayer's Egyptian and Near Eastern collection that was on display. It also includes a small number of other collections, such as those given by Mr William Crosfield in 1861, some by Mr Charles Stoess in 1869, and others by Mr J. A. Tinne in 1870. Occasionally reference will be made to the provenance of objects, in particular if they are from the Joseph Sams or Lord Valentia collections. The woodcut illustrations were produced by the noted Victorian illustrator and engraver, Llewellynn Frederick William Jewitt FSA. Compared to Mayer's 1852 catalogue there are more detailed descriptions for inscribed objects such as stelae, giving names and titles and the character of the text. Much of this information was provided by Samuel Birch of the British Museum who visited the collections in March 1877.

  • Egyptian Treasures in Europe volume 4: National Museums & Galleries on Merseyside, Liverpool

    Andrea Davies; Dirk van der Plas (ed)

    Author: Andrea Davies; Dirk van der Plas (ed)
    Publisher: Utrecht University
    Date: 2001
    Description: CD ROM with 1500 objects from World Museum's Egyptian collection, including some destroyed in World War Two. This is now available online: http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/default.aspx


Previous owners

  • Joseph Mayer

    Owned from: 1850
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1867
    Disposal method: Donation
  • Joseph Sams

    Owned from: 1833
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1850
    Disposal method: Sold
Object view = Humanities
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 203 ms