About this object

Silver alloy finger ring with oval bezel inscribed with hieroglyphs giving the name and title of the male owner bA-nb-Dd (Ranke p. 89, 12) Gatty translated it as the name of the god Mendes. There is a hand-copy of the inscription made by Professor Percy Newberry on the record card. Described in a 1931 exhibition as being electrum. For comparanda see Flinders Petrie, 'Scarabs and Cylinders With Names' (London, 1917), pl. LVIII.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Ornament
  • Culture
    Late Period: Saite
  • Artist/Maker
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date made
    Dynasty 26
  • Materials
    Silver Alloy
  • Location
    World Museum, Level 3, Ancient Egypt Gallery
  • Acquisition
    Gift of Joseph Mayer
  • Collector
    Henry Stobart
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date collected
  • Measurements
    21 mm x 13 mm
  • Related people
    Joseph Mayer ( Previous owner); Henry Stobart ( Collector, previous owner)

Explore related


  • Catalogue of the Egypt Exploration Society's Exhibition of the Results of the Recent Excavations at Amarna and Armant and of a Loan Exhibition of Egyptian Jewellery. Wellcome Historical Medical Museum 8th September to 3rd October 1931

    Egypt Exploration Society

    Author: Egypt Exploration Society
    Publisher: Egypt Exploration Society
    Date: 1931
    Description: 66 page catalogue of an exhibition held at Wellcome Historical Medical Museum 8th September to 3rd October 1931. No illustrations.

  • Catalogue of the Mayer Collection Part 1. The Egyptian, Babylonian and Assyrian Antiquities. Second and Revised Edition

    Gatty, Charles

    Author: Gatty, Charles
    Publisher: The Committee of the Liverpool Free Public Library, Museum and Gallery of Art
    Date: 1879
    Description: 83 page illustrated catalogue of Joseph Mayer's Egyptian and Near Eastern collection that was on display. It also includes a small number of other collections, such as those given by Mr William Crosfield in 1861, some by Mr Charles Stoess in 1869, and others by Mr J. A. Tinne in 1870. Occasionally reference will be made to the provenance of objects, in particular if they are from the Joseph Sams or Lord Valentia collections. The woodcut illustrations were produced by the noted Victorian illustrator and engraver, Llewellynn Frederick William Jewitt FSA. Compared to Mayer's 1852 catalogue there are more detailed descriptions for inscribed objects such as stelae, giving names and titles and the character of the text. Much of this information was provided by Samuel Birch of the British Museum who visited the collections in March 1877.

  • Finger-Ring Lore: Historical, Legendary and Anecdotal

    Jones, William

    Author: Jones, William
    Publisher: Chatto and Windus
    Date: 1898
    Description: Available online: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WA2aCdSHP_gC&q=liverpool#v=snippet&q=liverpool&f=false


  • Egypt Exploration Society Annual Exhibition, 1931

    Start date: 1931-09-08
    End date: 1931-09-08
    Description: Egypt Exploration Society's annual exhibition held at the Wellcome Historical Medical Museum, London. The director of the Egypt Exploration Society, Sir Robert Mond, wrote to the museum on 26 May 1931 asking if Liverpool Museum could loan a selection of jewellery for a representative loan exhbition of 'Egyptian jewellery and beads' in conjunction with its annual exhibition of antquities from recent excavations (Amarna and Armant). The event was scheduled to close on 3 October but was extended to 31 October because of demand. In the 'Notes and News' section of the 'Journal of Egyptian Archaeology', vol. 17 parts III and IV (November 1931) page 254, it records that the "attaractive presentation of the loan-exhibits the society has chiefly to thank Mr Guy Brunton, who generously undertook the laborious task of arrangement and description". The event was reported in the 'Notes and News' section of the 'Journal of Egyptian Archaeology', vol. 18 parts I and II (May 1932) page 109, recording that over 6000 visitors attended.


Previous owners

  • Joseph Mayer

    Owned from: 1857
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1867
    Disposal method: Donated to this museum
  • Henry Stobart

    Owned from: 1855
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1857
    Disposal method: Sold to Joseph Mayer
Object view = Humanities
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 109 ms