About this object

Egyptian alabaster, cream colour with horizontal veins; the surface has a very high polish. A deposit of a black shiny substance, through which layers of bandage protrude, fills the bottom of the interior cavity (presumed to be human remains: intestines?). Four columns of an inscription, with incised lines separating the columns and forming a box around the whole inscription, have been roughly pecked out, originally filled with a black sub-stance of which only faint traces remain. From right to left the hieroglyphs read: "Recitation by Selket: 'I have extended the protection which I can provide, providing safety for Kebeh-senuf who is within m e. The protection of the Osiris, the god's father, sm-priest, wnr- priest in Letopolis, prophet of Amun-ra, lord of Khent-nefer, Iah-mes, the son of Pa-di-ptah, born to the lady of the house Ta-[nt]-nefer-tem, justified, is the protection of Qebehsenuef. (For) the Osiris Iah-mes is Qebehsenuef’".

Diameter of base 113 mm; the interior cavity has almost straight sides; diameter of mouth 92 mm; depth of jar at least 157 mm.

Ahmose’s canopic jars are some of the first Egyptian antiquities to be collected by European explorers. In 1719 his canopic jars were drawn by Bernard Montaucon (1655 - 1741) a French Benedictine monk and scholar who published them in his book, ‘L'antiquité expliquée et representée en figures’ (later translated into English ‘Antiquity Explained and Represented in Sculptures’). Each jar is inscribed for a priest called Ahmose, whose name means ‘the moon has given birth’. The two other jars from Ahmose’s set of four are now in the collections of the Louvre Museum in Paris and the Calvet Museum in Avignon.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    Late Period
  • Artist/Maker
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date made
    664 BC - 332 BC
  • Materials
    Egyptian Alabaster
  • Location
    Item currently on loan
  • Acquisition
    From the Collection of 1st Viscount Leverhulme
  • Collector
    William Hesketh Lever
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Memphite Necropolis
  • Date collected
    1719 before
  • Measurements
    280 mm x 164 mm
  • Note
    Part of the Lady Lever Art Gallery antiquities collection.
  • Related people
    François Xavier Bon de Saint Hilaire ( Previous owner); Anne Adele Hope ( Previous owner); Henry Thomas Hope ( Previous owner); Thomas Hope ( Collector, previous owner); William Hesketh Lever ( Collector, previous owner); Henry Francis Pelham-Clinton-Hope ( Previous owner); Dominique Vivant ( Previous owner)
  • Related documents/media

Explore related

Publications

  • By-Products of Bibliography in the Journal of Egyptian Archaeology vol. 54

    Moss, Rosalind

    Author: Moss, Rosalind
    Publisher: The Egypt Exploration Society
    Date: 1968
    Description: An article in Journal of Egyptian Archaeology vol. 54

  • Canopic Jars in the Lady Lever Art Gallery in Orientalia 37

    Author:
    Publisher:
    Date:
    Description:

  • Gifts of The Nile: Ancient Egyptian Arts and Crafts in Liverpool Museum

    Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela

    Author: Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela
    Publisher: Her Majesty's Stationery Office
    Date: 1995
    Description: A 130 page illustrated book that focuses on the Egyptian antiquities in World Museum's collections to provide a colourful introduction to the land and its culture in the Pharaonic period. An appendix explains the history of the collection and includes information about the Lady Lever Art Gallery Egyptian collection, which is also part of National Museums Liverpool.

  • Lever as a collector of archaeology and as a sponsor of archaeological excavations by Angela Thomas in Journal of the History of Collections 4 no 2 (1992) pp. 267-271

    Thomas, Angela

    Author: Thomas, Angela
    Publisher: Journal of the History of Collections
    Date: 1992
    Description:

  • The Lever and Hope Sculptures

    Waywell, Geoffrey B

    Author: Waywell, Geoffrey B
    Publisher: Gebr Mann Verlag
    Date: 1986
    Description: Thomas Hope's collection of ancient Roman marble sculptures acquired in Italy is regarded as one of the most important ever to have been formed in Britain. This catalogue, by Geoffrey Waywell, contains a detailed account of the Hope collection in the Lady Lever Art Gallery, and also of the many Hope sculptures now in other collections. 163 black and white illustrations.

Events

  • Christie's Auction House Sale 25 July - 27 July 1917

    Start date: 1917-07-25
    End date: 1917-07-25
    Description: Sale of the collection of Lord Francis Pelham Clinton Hope, 8th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne.

Ownership

Previous owners

  • William Hesketh Lever

    Owned from: 1917
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1925
    Disposal method: Donation
  • Henry Francis Pelham-Clinton-Hope

    Owned from: 1884
    How acquired: Inherited
    Owned until: 1917
    Disposal method: Sold
  • Anne Adele Hope

    Owned from: 1862
    How acquired: Inherited
    Owned until: 1884
    Disposal method: Bequest
  • Henry Thomas Hope

    Owned from: 1831
    How acquired: Inherited
    Owned until: 1862
    Disposal method: Bequest
  • Thomas Hope

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1831
    Disposal method: Bequest
  • François Xavier Bon de Saint Hilaire

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
  • Dominique Vivant

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
Object view = Humanities
Found media!
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 93 ms