About this object

Votive model of a rocker used to move masonry. One side is pierced with seven holes and has remains red paint decoration at the top and bottom. The other side is pierced with six holes and has no trace of paint. Neither are inscribed.

Excavated in a foundation deposit at the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahri. Two segments of a circle joined by two wooden bars (some bars are missing).

Object specifics

  • Type
  • Culture
    New Kingdom
  • Artist/Maker
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Thebes: Deir el Bahri
  • Date made
    1473 BC - 1458 BC (joint reign of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III) about
  • Materials
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Purchased from the collections of Norwich Castle Museum
  • Collector
    Egypt Exploration Society
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Thebes: Deir el Bahri
  • Date collected
    1903 - 1904
  • Measurements
    52 mm x 98 mm x 245 mm
  • Related people
    East Anglia Egyptian Society ( Previous owner); Egypt Exploration Society ( Collector, previous owner); Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery ( Previous owner)

Explore related


  • The Temple of Deir el-Bahri Part VI

    Naville, Edouard

    Author: Naville, Edouard
    Publisher: Egypt Exploration Fund
    Date: 1894
    Description: Edouard Naville's publication of his excavations for the Egypt Exploration Fund at Deir el Bahri - the 18th Dynasty temple of Hatshepsut (large folios in 6 volumes).


  • Egypt Exploration Fund Excavations at Deir el Bahri 1897 - 1907

    Start date: 1897
    End date: 1897
    Description: Edouard Naville's excavations between 1897 and 1907 for the Egypt Exploration Fund. Naville cleared the temple of Hatshepsut and discovered the temple of Mentuhotep II in 1897. He carried out several seasons of work at the beginning of the 20th century with the final season during the winter of 1906-7. The museum provided financial sponsorship and the committee of the Egypt Exploration Fund donated a granary model accessioned on 13 December 1899 (; 30 objects which were accessioned on 13 October 1904, accession series In 1956 the museum purchased the bulk of Norwich Castle Museum's Egyptian collection which included material from Deir el Bahri donated by the Egypt Exploration Society in November 1925 to the East Anglia Egyptian Society( "from old stock"). Bibliography: Naville, The Temple of Deir el-Bahri, 7 vols. (London, 1894-1908). Naville, The XIth Dynasty Temple of Deir el-Bahri, 3 vols. (London,1907-1913).


Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 109 ms