For one night only, Homotopia’s Queer the City project will take over the Museum of Liverpool in our first NML Xtra event. An evening showcasing some of the region’s most exciting LGBTQ+ artists all under one roof, the museum will be brought to life with experiences, encounters and installations embedded around its galleries for guests to discover and enjoy.
The line-up includes:
- Ghetto Fabulous presents the thrilling Catwalk Extravaganza. Dancers go head-to-head in a dance, fashion, and lip sync competition at this interactive event where the audience decides the winner. Join this fabulous celebration of self-expression and help crown the champ!
- A night-long immersive reimagining of Virgina Woolf’s Mrs Dalloway (1925), created and performed by Matthew Rawcliffe with William James. Matthew is a dance artist from Manchester who is best known for being a grand finalist in BBC Young Dancer (2019).
- Spice Boys, Walter Ego, Ryan & Uncle Martin, will drag up your life, serving 90s/00s boyband nostalgia and dance moves.
- Luna Thee Frenchie and Abbie Morris of QueenswaY, a female, LGBTQ+ and non-binary collective which celebrates artists across the Wirral and Liverpool, come together to supply a range of melodic beats that will have guests on their feet.
- Live music from singer songwriter, iamkyami, whose neo-soul, RnB, hip hop and indie sound was recently profiled in National Museums Liverpool’s Museum Sessions
- Dan Chan, visual and drag artist, will investigate their sense of place in the world as a mixed-race British Chinese, non-binary and queer person.
- Pretentious Dross, gender-fluid drag artist, producer and co-director of EAT ME CIC, Liverpool’s infamously radical, alternative queer cabaret.
- Hands-on activist art workshops led by local artists, Sophie Green and Leo Welton.
- Spoken word by Queer Bodies, a north-west based poetry collective. Poems inspired by LGBTQ+ writers and the poetic techniques, voices and style that gives their work character, will make for empowering and inspiring performances.
- Elijah Ferreria is an actor and musician. Fresh from his run in the Punk Rock Musical, Hedwig and The Angry Inch, with Divina de Campo, Elijah brings a mix of his own new music alongside a collection of defining songs from his youth.
- Ashleigh Owen is an artist, performer, facilitator, Twitch streamer and podcast creator from Liverpool. Expect parody, a lot of heart and laugh out loud musical silliness. Ashleigh is Homotopia’s Associate Artist and leads on Young Homotopia.
- Billie-Gina Thomason presents “The VicTRANSians” Billie-Gina is a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Liverpool. Billie-Gina's talk will question the strait-laced Victorians, re-examining them through a queer lens.
- Cheddar Gorgeous presents “Category is Non-Binary" Cheddar Gorgeous is a gender divergent drag artist and self-confessed unicorn-idealist. They’ve been telling stories with costume, make-up and other people's words for a decade.
- Ki Griffin presents “Creating your own Homotopia” Ki is an actor best known for playing the role of Ripley Lennox in the popular TV show Hollyoaks. Ki is openly non-binary and intersex.
- Mickey Callisto will take you through time and space with his relentless energy, feel good music and a powerhouse of a voice that will leave you wanting more!
- Glam-up and glow! Alex Ogden Clark is a makeup artist from Liverpool and was a contestant in season 3 of BBC Three’s Glow Up. Let Alex transform your look with her bold and beautiful queer make-up designs.
- The Museum of Liverpool has partnered up with the Bottoming Podcast duo, Matthew Riley and Brendan Geoghegan, to create a special LGBTQ+ Audio Trail to listen to as you walk around the museum.
Please note that filming and photography will be taking place at this event for promotional purposes. If you have any questions or concerns about this, or would like to ensure you are not filmed or photographed, please speak to a member of staff during the event
Schedule for the night
Atrium, ground floor
7.15pm / 9.30pm Elijah Ferreira
7.45pm / 10pm Ashleigh Owen
8 pm / 10.15pm Mikey Calisto
8.15pm / 9.15pm iamkyami
With DJing from QueenswaY all night
Lecture theatre, ground floor
8 – 8.45pm / 9.15 – 10pm
Billie-Gina Thomason presents ‘The VicTRANSians’
Cheddar Gorgeous presents ‘Category is Non-Binary’
Ki Griffin presents ‘Creating your own Homotopia’
Education room 2, first floor
7.15pm / 9.30pm
Sophie Green and Leo Welton lead a hands-on arts workshop called ‘Queering The News’
Education room 3, first floor
7.30 – 8.15pm / 8.30 – 9.15pm
Ghetto Fabulous presents ‘Catwalk Extravaganza’
Overhead railway, first floor
7.30pm / 8.30pm / 10pm
Spoken word from QUEER BODIES poetry collective
Make-up, LGBTQ+ footy film, and pop-up dance performances
Queer art should be available to everyone. If a FREE ticket would be helpful for you, drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org, no explanation necessary.
NML Xtra is a series of events taking over National Museums of Liverpool venues and spaces like never before outside daytime opening hours. Providing sparkling entertainment and delicious food and drink, the NML Xtra series will both reimagine the venues and invite visitors to explore collections in new and creative ways.